THE COMPLETELY VINTAGE 1967 R60/2
**TICKET SALES CLOSED AS OF MAY 31** Pick up your entry form at Bob’s BMW when you stop by to see the Completely Vintage 1967 R60/2 in person! This exquisite machine is on display at Bob’s until the live drawing at Bob’s BMW’s Spring Open House on April 27th.
Tickets are just 5 for $100 or $25 each. To enter online, visit bmwmoaf.org. Proceeds go towards the BMW MOA Foundation’s mission to advance rider safety, education, and training.
Tuesday, January 22, 2019
Posted by: Ted Moyer, 100360
The BMW MOA Foundation is back with another unique find for the the 2019 Completely Vintage Raffle. The popular fundraiser for the Foundation features a very special 1967 R60/2 acquired from the BMW Museum at Bob’s BMW. Tickets for the Completely Vintage Raffle will be AVAILABLE ONLINE through March 31, 2019.
This expertly restored motorcycle featuring, nearly 100% period correct NOS parts, is truly an exceptional example of vintage BMW motorcycles. Bob Henig of Bob’s BMW acquired this flawlessly restored example of BMW’s sturdy, dependable motorcycle over 15 years ago. It came to him from a friend intimately involved in restoring classic BMW motorcycles and is one of the finest and most accurately restored R 60/2 motorcycles you will ever see. The restoration, which took place from 1995-97, utilized as many new old stock (NOS) BMW parts as possible. Even the paint and pinstriping are correct for the period.
At the time of restoration, the bike was all original, had only two previous owners, and had just over 20,000 original miles on it. This specific machine underwent a full stripped-frame restoration. All driveline components were rebuilt including new bearings, seals and gaskets. The crank was done over, and the engine blueprinted. New original BMW pistons were used along with NOS valves, guides and seats to fully rebuild the heads. All cases and covers were painstakingly blasted with walnut shells to return them to the exact same luster as when the bike left Berlin. Special hardware was reused as long as all edges and faces were perfect; these were all sent out to be cadmium plated to the exact appearance of what BMW provided in the 1960s.
The details really make this restoration shine, things like axles, Europa handlebars, bar risers and pinch bolts, bar end turn signals and harness, the main and rear wiring harnesses, ignition switch plate, switch assembly, chrome hardware, ignition coil, plug caps and boots, lenses for the headlamp and tail lamp plus the internals and chrome trim rings, left and right control switches, wheel bearing retainers, chromed steel rims plus spokes and nipples and the painted hub caps, internal clutch assembly components, the header pipes with exhaust nuts and cross over, the factory side stand and a standard bench seat. The standard width bench seat and the optional 6.5-gallon sport tank are the perfect visual combination. Even the control cables and adjustors are original BMW and from the correct era. Inside the engine under the oil pump gear inspection cover is a BMW tach drive gear in case the new owner hunts down and adds that rare option in the future.
There are a few more NOS parts included and installed, but they are not original BMW items; they are period correct accessories or options offered through Butler & Smith and Flanders Corporation, the two authorized U.S. importers from that time period. This includes items like the Bowman cast aluminum deep oil pan, stainless steel mufflers, KONI heavy duty front and rear shocks, finned exhaust nut covers and the Albert left-hand mirror. Wheel rims and spokes, NOS to start with, are also perfect, as is the exhaust system, all chromed and plated parts, fasteners, hardware, rubber, cables, adjustors and springs.
All the paint and expertly applied hand pinstripes of the correct size and location were done utilizing the factory-correct Glasurit Avus black materials. The machine has always been stored in a temperature-controlled environment and is always parked on wood or carpeted floors. It has never been in the rain since the restoration, and it has seen regular dustings, shines and the occasional bath and re-wax.
The rubber parts are perfect. A NOS original battery strap from Bob’s personal stash will also be included. Not one drop of oil has collected under this machine over the years, and while it has been over a decade since it was last ridden, it was expertly pickled for long-term storage. The fuel tank is clean and dry, and there are fresh oils in all driveline components.
This machine is supplied with additional items such as an original owner’s manual, a complete original tool kit in the pouch, a rare original BMW shop rag, the correct tire repair kit in the small tin and one black knob key, one flat spare key plus one special square key to fit the tool compartment on top of the sports tank. There is simply not another BMW R60/2 available anywhere on this planet that one could acquire that is as perfect as this machine.
Tickets are on sale through March 31, 2019. Purchase online at bmwmoaf.org, by calling (864) 438-0962 or by mailing an entry blank and payment to the Foundation. The winning raffle ticket will be drawn at Bob’s BMW in Jessup, Maryland, on April 27. You do not have to be present to win. Tickets are $25 each or five for $100.
- Raffle ticket sales begin February 1, 2019 and end March 31, 2019. All ticket orders must be RECEIVED on or before March 31, 2019. Prize drawing to be held April 27, 2017 at Bob’s BMW. Ticket buyers do not have to be present to win.
- Raffle tickets may be ordered online at BMWMOAF.ORG, by calling (864) 438-0962 or by mailing a ticket order blank posted in the BMW Owners News. You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase a ticket. Multiple ticket purchases by a single buyer are permissible.
- Confirmation of ticket orders and ticket numbers will be returned via email. A complete list of ticket buyers will be published at bmwmoaf.org before the drawing on April 27.
- Odds of winning depend on final number of tickets sold. Complete winners list will be posted at BMWMOAF.ORG. Winners claiming their prize must present winning number and PHOTO IDENTIFICATION. Winners are subject to all applicable taxes. Consult your local tax professional for exact tax liability.
- The BMW MOA Foundation reserves the right to replace, substitute or exchange any of the prizes listed with a similar prize of equal or greater value.
- BMW MOA Foundation Board members, BMW MOA and Foundation employees, contractors and their immediate families are ineligible to win. Immediate family defined as spouse and dependent children. The BMW MOA, BMW MOA Foundation, their officers, directors, employees, volunteers, sponsors or any person or organization affiliated with BMW MOA will not assume any liability for any loss, injury, claim or otherwise resulting from any prize obtained through the sale of a ticket. By submitting an order for a raffle ticket and receiving a drawing number, the buyer acknowledges this limitation of liability and assumes any liability and will hold harmless the BMW MOA Foundation or any affiliate for any liability resulting from the purchase of this ticket or any prize resulting therefrom.