The new BMW F 900 R – the Dynamic Roadster for purist riding fun.
Self-confident, sporty, active, focused on a dynamic experience – this is how fans of the BMW F 900 R could be described. The new dynamic roadster by BMW Motorrad conveys a sense of freedom and a modern lifestyle.
At the emotional level, sports-style and aggressive design meets inspiring performance in terms of engine output, torque and sound.
In addition, there are aspects such as a wide range of potential uses, a high level of suitability for everyday riding and ergonomics that make the F 900 R of equal interest to experienced sports riders and newcomers.
The new BMW F 900 XR – a genuine “XR” for the mid-range.
“XR” stands for an uncompromising mix of sportiness and touring capability. Having established this family with the BMW S 1000 XR, BMW Motorrad is now expanding it with the addition of a mid-range model. The design style and vehicle concept clear refer to the kinship with the “big sister”.
The F 900 XR also demonstrates easy mastery of the Adventure Sport segment’s key qualities: sporty riding dynamics combined with upright, GS‑like ergonomics, outstanding long-distance and passenger suitability and a design that conveys a powerful sense of character.
The new F 900 XR also benefits from the technology transfer from the upper class: Adaptive Cornering Light, Keyless Ride or Intelligent Emergency Call are all unique features in the mid-range.
In addition to sporty riders, the XR is also aimed at newcomers and motorcycle returnees due to its easy accessibility, low minimum seat height, A2 capability and attractive entry price.
Technology benchmark in the segment.
The two new models F 900 R and F 900 XR currently set the technological benchmark in the mid-range segment with their high-quality standard equipment (Connectivity, LED all round as standard) and their wide range of optional extras – in some cases unique in this class (including Adaptive Cornering Light, Keyless Ride, Dynamic ESA, Riding Modes Pro, Shift Assistant Pro, Intelligent Emergency Call, ABS Pro, MSR, DTC, DBC, RDC).
Drive featuring further developed 2-cylinder in-line engine with increased capacity and power along with new engine drag torque control.
In the new F 900 R and F 900 XR, enhanced riding dynamics are ensured by the further development of the 2-cylinder in-line engine first introduced in 2018 in the F 850 GS, now with 77 kW (105 hp) and an even fuller torque curve. The main factor here is an increase in capacity to 895 cc (previously 853 cc). With an ignition distance of 270/450 degrees and a new underfloor silencer system, the engine offers a particularly emotional sound.
In addition to the standard anti-hopping clutch, the new F 900 R and F 900 XR can be fitted with engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. It prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting, thereby ensuring even greater safety.
Two standard riding modes, ASC and ABS.
Riding modes Pro with DTC, ABS Pro, DBC and MSR as ex works options.
The new F 900 R and F 900 XR already offer the “Rain” and “Road” riding modes as standard. The standard trim also includes ABS and ASC Automatic Stability Control, which is disengageable.
With “Riding Modes Pro” as an ex works option, the sporty characteristics of the new F 900 R and F 900 XR can be experienced even more intensively. The additional riding modes “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”, Dynamic Traction Control DTC and banking capable ABS Pro are available, along with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and the new engine drag torque control (MSR).
Chassis with steel bridge frame, lightweight plastic tanks and the electronic suspension Dynamic ESA as optional extras.
Like the GS models in the F Series, the new F 900 R and F 900 XR make use of a steel bridge frame that integrates the engine as a load-bearing element and a fuel tank that is now back in its classic position in front of the rider. Front wheel control is taken care of by an upside-down telescopic fork, while the rear wheel is guided by a double-sided swinging arm with central suspension strut.
The light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 15.5 litres (F 900 XR) and 13 litres (F 900 R) are a world first in motorcycle construction. The bolt-on steel rear frame has also been newly developed for the F 900 R and F 900 XR in order to create a visually short and slim rear. While the new F 900 R is a dynamic roadster focusing on sporty use and therefore shorter spring travel, the new F 900 XR – with its somewhat longer spring travel – offers a noticeable increase in comfort and therefore an even wider range of potential uses.
With the BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment), available as an optional extra and almost unique in these vehicle segments, it is possible to further enhance the dynamic riding experience, riding comfort and also touring and passenger suitability, since the damping of the rear spring strut is automatically adapted to the conditions depending on riding state and manoeuvres.
Adaptive Cornering Light unique in the mid-range segment as part of the optional extra Headlight Pro. Powerful LED lighting units all round as standard.
Even greater safety is offered by the Adaptive Cornering Light as a component of Headlight Pro, which is unique in the mid-range and comes as an optional extra ex works. Here, the rider benefits from improved illumination of the road when cornering for even safer riding at night. All lighting units in the new F models are based on LED technology as standard.
Perfectly readable colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW Motorrad Connectivity as standard.
The BMW Motorrad developers attached great importance to optimum readability for the instrument cluster – even in difficult lighting conditions. In addition, information diversity, display quality and user-friendliness are unmatched. The graphics on the screen are visually adapted to the sporty on-road world. Additional Core screens are available in conjunction with the optional Pro riding modes. The standard BMW Motorrad Connectivity is a unique feature in the mid-range, offering the ability to conveniently talk on the phone, listen to music or navigate while riding.
Perfectly designed ergonomic triangles for dynamic riding fun and – in the case of the F 900 XR – excellent segment-specific wind and weather protection for touring and travelling.
As a dynamic roadster, the F 900 R offers a particularly sporty, active seating position.
Meanwhile the F 900 XR offers an impressively active yet relaxed riding position for touring and travelling. The front fairing including an adjustable windshield combines a sporty look with sound rider protection.
Various low and high seats along with the optional lowering feature also allow individual adjustment to various body heights.
Three powerful colour and style variants each for an unmistakable sense of character.
Three dynamic colour and style variants for the new F 900 R and F 900 XR ensure unmistakable characteristics.
The new F 900 R is available in Blackstorm metallic, San Marino Blue metallic and Style Sport in Hockenheim Silver metallic/Racing Red.
In addition to Light White, the new F 900 XR offers the two Style variants Style Exclusive in Galvanic Gold metallic and Sport in Racing Red.
The highlights of the new BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR:
• The new BMW F 900 R: the dynamic roadster for purist riding fun.
• The new BMW F 900 XR: a genuine “XR” for the mid-range.
• The powerful common backbone integrates the further developed
2-cylinder in-line engine with an increased capacity of 895 cc
(previously 853 cc).
• Further enhanced output and torque: 77 kW (105 hp) at 8 750 rpm and 92 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
• More than 87 Nm torque in the relevant lower speed range from 4 500 to 8 500 rpm.
• 35 kW (48 hp) version available for licence class A2.
• High level of running smoothness due to two opposed counterbalance shafts.
• Two riding modes “Rain” and “Road” as well as ABS and ASC as standard.
• Riding Modes Pro with two further riding modes as well as Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), ABS Pro, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and engine drag torque control (MSR) as ex works options.
• Steel bridge frame for optimum rigidity, robustness and riding precision.
• Newly developed slim steel rear frame.
• World first in motorcycle construction: light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 13 litres (F 900 R) and 15.5 litres (F 900 XR).
• Front upside-down telescopic fork and aluminium double-sided swinging arm with rear central suspension strut.
• Spring travel: 135 mm (F 900 R) and 170 mm (F 900 XR) at front, 142 mm (F 900 R) and 172 mm (F 900 XR) at rear.
• Electronic suspension adjustment Dynamic ESA at rear as an ex works option.
• ABS Pro for even greater safety when braking at an angle as an ex works option.
• Fairing with practical wind and weather protection and adjustable windshield (F 900 XR).• Sophisticated ergonomics and numerous seat alternatives.
• Adaptive Cornering Light unique in the mid-range as part of the ex works option Headlight Pro.
• Perfectly readable colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW motorcycle connectivity as standard.
• Powerful LED lighting units all round as standard.
• Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for swift assistance in emergency situations.
• Keyless Ride for convenient activation of the locking functions by remote control as an ex works option.
• F 900 R in dynamic roadster design with muscular front section, aggressive headlight graphics and short, slim rear section.
• F 900 XR in Adventure Sport look with striking contours and sporty, dynamic fairing.
• High-quality workmanship down to the last detail.
• Three powerful colour and style variants each for unmistakable roadster and adventure sport characters.